Start a project in Polypropylene?
The Prosilas staff will respond promptly by sending a detailed quote with costs and delivery times
Polypropylene for 3D Printing
Polypropylene (PP) is a thermoplastic thermopolymer that has gained popularity in SLS 3D printing, offering a versatile alternative to polyamides.
This material stands out for its ductility, chemical resistance, lightweight nature, and durability, making it ideal for a wide range of applications.
Order the Kit-SLS
Free samples of 3D printing materials and finishes offered by Prosilas.
What is Polypropylene?
Polypropylene is a polymer specifically developed and designed for SLS 3D printing to overcome the limitations of polyamides.
Compared to polyamides, PP offers excellent ductility, high elongation, impact absorption, low moisture absorption, and long durability. It is resistant to many acids and has a density lower than that of water.
Thanks to its exceptional mechanical properties, polypropylene represents an outstanding option for a variety of applications, fully leveraging the design freedom offered by 3D printing.
- High Mechanical Strength: PP offers excellent mechanical properties, ideal for the production of economical and functional prototypes.
- Flexibility and Impact Absorption: Its ductility and shock-absorbing capacity make it suitable for internal parts for dishwashers and versatile industrial goods.
- Chemically Resistant: PP is resistant to acids and alkalis, making it ideal for chemically challenging pipelines and containers.
- Lightweight and Durable: With a density lower than that of water, PP is perfect for the production of water tanks and collectors.
- Versatility in Industrial Applications: It finds applications in a wide range of sectors, from automotive and electrical products to healthcare and orthopedic items.
3D printed polypropylene, therefore, offers a versatile and reliable solution in a wide range of applications, spanning from industrial production to automotive engineering, demonstrating its value in scenarios that require strength, durability, and flexibility.
- Pipes and Ducts: Thanks to its chemical resistance, a characteristic that makes it suitable for systems transporting chemicals or corrosive liquids.
- Water Tanks and Collectors: Its chemical resistance ensures the integrity of the stored content.
- Economical and Functional Prototypes: SLS 3D printing with polypropylene allows for the production of economical and functional prototypes. The material’s ductility enables the creation of prototypes that replicate the desired characteristics of the final products.
- Automotive Components: Its lightweight and high mechanical strength make it suitable for the production of automotive components. These include internal parts, coatings, and other elements that require robustness and lightness.
- Chemically Challenging Containers: The chemical resistance of polypropylene makes it suitable for printing containers designed to withstand aggressive chemicals. This feature is valuable in sectors such as the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.